In connection with a large-scale shooting that happened on Monday night in Fort Worth’s Como neighborhood, two individuals have been detained and are being charged with m*rder.
Tuesday night, following ComoFest, an annual Fourth of July celebration held in the Como neighborhood southwest of downtown Fort Worth, several hundred people remained along Horne Street.
At 11:47 p.m., someone began firing into the large throng, leaving three dead and eight injured. The three victims have been named as Cynthia Santos, 22, Paul Willis, 18, and Gabriella Navarrete, 18.
They did not suffer a fatal injury. Their lives were ruthlessly and senselessly taken away, Fort Worth Police Chief Neil Noakes said on Friday.
According to Fort Worth Police records, two men have been detained and charged with murder in connection with the incident. They have been identified as 20-year-old Christopher Redic and 19-year-old Brandon Williams, respectively.
Surveillance video obtained by @NBCDFW shows people running for cover after shots are fired near Horne St. in Fort Worth, where hundreds of people gathered after ComoFest
Shooting killed 3 people, injured 8.
— Lili Zheng (@LiliNBC5) July 4, 2023
Redic and Williams were both booked into the city jail on Friday just before noon, according to police records. It’s unclear at this time if any of the individuals has retained legal counsel to represent them.
It was revealed at a news conference held by Chief Noakes on Friday afternoon that there had been some sort of altercation before to the shooting. Investigators, according to Noakes, think the violence may have been gang-related.
“Our gang unit put a lot of effort into this because we really think this was gang-related. We are able to collaborate with the homicide squad thanks to their knowledge of and experience with the entire city of Fort Worth, he said. In order to gather even the smallest amount of evidence, our officers repeatedly poured over video.
The shooting is still under investigation.
Noakes continued, “This annual event has been going on for decades, and city leaders are working to take steps to make changes to the event that will make it safer in the future, including limiting any street parties after the event has ended.”
On Friday, he had a message in particular for the young people.
Chief Noakes said during a news conference Friday afternoon:
“Life is so full with possibilities. The lives of the potential victims should be given so much more significance, as well as the lives of the possible victims themselves, he stated. “It appears that some people’s only methods of resolving disputes entail the use of a gun. No matter how little the argument, someone always pulls a gun. Perhaps another person pulls a pistol, which results in tragedy and de@th.
A candlelight memorial in remembrance of the de@ths was conducted on Friday evening in front of the ancient courthouse in the city at 100 E. Weatherford Street. The family of Billy Smith, 21, and the family of Gabriella Navarrete, one of the three people ki!!ed in Como last week, were present.
The second victim of a shooting involving an officer on Wednesday morning has been named as Smith.
At the vigil, speakers urged action and solutions to the problem of gun violence while simultaneously attempting to soothe the bereaved families.
Nobody has all the solutions, but if we sit down at a table and talk, we can start the healing process, Lee Muhammad remarked.
A list of resources put together by the National Mass Violence Resource Center may be beneficial to the victims, survivors, and members of the Como neighborhood community who were impacted by the shooting on July 3. Here is where you may find more details.