Buffalo Remembers Tragic Anniversary Of Racist Supermarket Shooting

Zaire Goodman said he was grateful to see the community come together in commemoration Sunday in the same parking lot where he has shot in the neck a year ago.

His family and others affected by the mass shooting remembered the 10 people killed and three wounded at Tops Friendly Market, which closed Sunday for the one-year anniversary of the shootings.

Goodman, 21, who was shot while collecting carts outside the store, has returned to the market many times since, even visiting while it was being refurbished in the weeks after the slaughter.

“I just wanted to show people it’s okay.” He added, “We don’t need to close the store forever.” “The store is still important to people in this area.”

Before a minute of silence, Mayor Byron Brown read the 13 victims’ names. 13 times, a first responder rang a bell. Speakers included Brown, Hochul, and Schumer.

It’s gorgeous. “It’s Mother’s Day,” Hochul replied. “The cruel irony behind the fact is a day we celebrate a life that comes into this world, making someone a mother, is also a day we’re here to think about those who are no longer with us.” It’s difficult. It’s been tough.”

Panelists discussed solutions to tackle racism and social media radicalization earlier in the week, and residents were asked to reflect at an outdoor community meeting.

Goodman recounted how he raced across the street and called his mother after being wounded following Sunday’s event.

“Get here,” he said.

Since then, Goodman’s mother, Zeneta Everhart, and other relatives of the dead have spoken before Congress about white supremacy and gun reform and organized events to address food insecurity that exacerbated after the neighborhood’s lone grocery store was closed for two months.

In an op-ed published Sunday in USA Today, President Joe Biden remembered Buffalo’s victims. He urged Congress and state legislators to ban assault weapons and high-capacity magazines, require background checks for all gun transactions, and remove gun makers’ immunity from liability. Following a string of major shootings, his government passed a landmark gun law in June.

New York law prohibits magazines with more than 10 rounds.

Over the weekend, Moms Demand Action and Students Demand Action hosted over 200 events nationwide to urge Congress to reinstate a bipartisan assault weapons prohibition.

After the anniversary ceremonies in Buffalo, Wayne Jones, whose mother Celestine Chaney, 65, perished in the attack, urged the city and its institutions to continue investing in the neighborhood and its citizens.

“To keep opening up this wound that I have” is why he’s willing to talk about it, he said.

After the remembrance ceremony, adults visited tents with mental health and community support information.

Rosemary Glover of Buffalo recalls the pain she felt when she recognized two of the shooting victims’ names: community champion Katherine Massey and Pearl Young, who was in her church ministry. Sunday was her honoring visit.

Check out for more  news:

She remarked, “We must continue to support each other.” “That’s the only way we’ll heal.”

The son of 63-year-old gunshot victim Geraldine Talley launched a book on Sunday about his grief. He called it “5/14: The Day the Devil Came to Buffalo.”

As the anniversary approached, Talley said, “I definitely know that she wouldn’t want me to be consumed by sadness and anger, so I will definitely try to find strength in her memory and use it to fight injustice and racism for the rest of my life in her name.”

A poem honoring the victims is flanked by fountains in the renovated store. An outdoor memorial commission is designing it. In the interim, a hand-painted mural of a black and white hand praying promotes unity.

The 18-year-old white nationalist drove from rural Conklin, New York, to do the attack.

In addition to Chaney, Talley, Massey, and Young, the dead included Andre Mackneil, who was buying a cake for his son’s third birthday; church deacon Heyward Patterson; Ruth Whitfield, whose son was a Buffalo fire commissioner; Roberta Drury, who had moved back to Buffalo to help a brother with cancer; Margus Morrison, who was buying dinner for a family movie night; and Aaron Salter, a retired Buffalo police officer working as a security guard.

In February, the gunman pled guilty to murder and other offenses and was sentenced to life without parole. His federal case is pending.

About The Author

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top